Stingley Family Notes
(transcribed by Pat Combs O'Dell:
Mose Stingley Entertains at a Meeting in Maryville
from Nodaway Democrat, Sept 30, 1875

...Moses Stingley was the next speaker. Uncle Mose said he guessed he would have to tell them about things further back than the others had. He removed to this state in 1844, and settled on the Platte river near Whitesville, in Andrew county. As many as are here would then have scared all the Indians out. Women "in them days," said the speaker, wore homespun, that is linsey and buckskin. To look at the difference since then is surprising to the natives. Why then the feet were clad in moccasins. My old boots that I have now cost more than all the boots in the Platte Purchase then, we looked to home for our clothes then, now we look to the city. Paper collars and these little fancy hats had no show then. He had heard of a person who said he believed that these things had brought the grasshoppers upon us. The ladies were more vigorous then than now. He had heard of a young lady back in the good old days who had chased a bear three miles to get one of his hairs to make a tooth pick, and she would have caught him, had he not climbed up where she could not get at him. Being a little out of humor at not catching him, on her way back she found a nest of wild cats and pounced upon them and stamped them to death.

Uncle Mose is a host and he talks right along....


OBITUARY - Nodaway Democrat, Maryville, Missouri, Mar 26, 1885


At His Home in Oregon on March 5.

Last week just before going to press we learned of the death of Moses Stingley, so well known in this county, at his home in Clackamus county, Oregon, and made a brief note of it. Since then we have been handed the following letter by Adelma Stingley, which gives the particulars of Uncle Moses' death:

Dear Brother, Sisters and all: It is with a sad lonely heart that I take my pen in hand to send you the word that our dear father has left this vale of tears. He died March the 5th at nine o'clock at night. His sufferings are over. He was in his right mind to the last. He went with warning. He did not suffer at the last. We had a nice metalic coffin lined with heavy silk and soldered up air tight so the water can't get in, and we can move him back to Missouri and he will be just as natural as he was when he died. We had allowed to take him back if all are willing, for we all think he did not want to be buried in Oregon. We buried him in that yard where we went. He wanted to go back to Missouri so bad; he thought it would help him, but he did not have the money, nether did we. We tried to mortgage the place and could not. We wanted to write there for money and he would not let us. He said he left there on his own hook and he wanted to go back the same way. We were trying to sell a team to get the money, then he said he could write to Hiram and tell him to come after him, but poor father we could not sell a team. He kept getting worse, and now we think we ought to take out dear old father back, dont you think so? He deeded the farm to Lena and Noah about six weeks before he died. Milton and Becky stayed right with us and helped take care of father. Will stayed right by the bed. We did all we could for him. He had good fresh clothes every day, but dear father we could not save him. You don't know how sad and lonely we are all alone way out here, but such is the way of life and we can't help it. Good bye. Write soon.

From N.C. Stingley to Adelma Stingley

back to family records index / back to Nodaway County, Missouri